Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Forsythia
2013
60x20
oil on canvas












Don't misunderstand, I don't think Forsythia are particularly gorgeous shrubs, but they are so very emblematic of Spring, at least here in New England.

One minute the world is very grey, roadsides are downing in road sand and freshly revealed trash, and the next, the Forsythia burst on the scene with their brash, assertive yellow sprays of blossoms.

By the time their flowers have faded, the landscape is fully roused from its winter slumber, and everything is growing, greening, blooming at a manic pace.




3 comments:

  1. I like the way it turns and the sense of depth; it has lots of deep places with temperature changes....speaking for myself, of course!!
    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice use of yellow! Hard color to use like that. Spring is coming I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.
    I agree, that yellow is very assertive! Which is how I experience the sudden burst of the ubiquitous Forsythia.
    I should add some text about that. I was just too sleepy to be articulate when I posted it.

    ReplyDelete