Friday, February 19, 2010

Size Matters

I usually work small. There is something intimate about small pieces, they don't overwhelm you, they draw you in. On a practical note, they are also are easier to deal with and less expensive to make. They are manageable, but maybe art isn't something to be "managed". Other artists almost always admonish me to work larger. This painting, which I did in the summer of 2009, was a response to that. It measures 36x36. Not REALLY large, but a big jump up for me. I am pleased with it up close (click on it for more detail), but I don't feel it is as successful from across the room. This work was done with acrylic paint and dry pastel on paper mounted on board. I call it "Over the Roar of the Falls". Like many of my paintings, it was inspired by the natural landscape/environment, without being about an exact place. "Over the Roar of the Falls" therefore, becomes about the experience of a waterfall, rather than what a specific waterfall looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment