Friday, September 7, 2012

13th Annual Roddy Competition

Golgotha
2012
36x36
oil














I am really pleased that this recent painting of mine has been selected by juror, Jen Mergel, Senior Curator of the Contemporary Collection at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts to be included in the 13th Annual Frances N. Roddy Competition at the Concord Art Association.

Frankly. I was a little uneasy about this painting, as religious imagery is not my "thing", but this was one of those paintings that just sort of emerged, and I felt confident in its strength.

What I was thinking about as I painted it was the persistence of brutality that humans inflict on one another.
Specifically, I was thinking about the current bloodshed in Syria.
Perhaps the image of the crucifixion is my way of hoping that something good can rise for the ashes of violence.

Show runs from September 13 through October 14th, 2012
opening reception Thursday, September 13th 6-8 p.m.

Concord Art Association
37 Lexington Rd., Concord, MA
978-369-2578 or http://concordart.org/ for hours and information



No comments:

Post a Comment